Test captain Ben Stokes indicated Tuesday he would be ready to make an England limited-overs comeback. Stokes ended his one-day international retirement to play in England's woeful defence of their 50-over World Cup title in India last year.

Advertisement

But following knee surgery, he opted out of England's lacklustre bid to retain the T20 World Cup in the Caribbean and the United States earlier this year.

Advertisement

Despite further injury trouble this season, Stokes said he was open to resuming a limited-overs career that has seen him play match-winning innings in the finals of the 2019 50-over and 2022 T20 World Cups.

"This white-ball team has gone in a new direction," Stokes told Sky Sports in an interview during the third one-day international between England and Australia at his Durham home ground on Tuesday.

"We've seen some unbelievable talent come through, just to point out one: Jacob Bethell, who I think is going to be a superstar.

"I've played a lot of white-ball cricket for England, I'm very happy and content with what I've achieved in that form of the game."

Advertisement

Stokes, who has played in 114 ODIs and 43 T20s, has worked well alongside Test coach Brendon McCullum, with the former New Zealand captain set to take charge of England's limited-overs teams in the new year.

"If I am part of the white-ball teams' plans going forward in any way, shape or form then great," said Stokes. "If I get the call, saying 'do you want to come and play?' It's definitely going to be a 'yes'."

Nevertheless, the 33-year-old added: "But I'm not going to be too disappointed if I don't because it means someone's come in and doing really well. I can just sit back and watch everyone else go out and smack it."

Advertisement

Stokes missed England's recent 2-1 Test series win over Sri Lanka, with Ollie Pope deputising as captain, after suffering a hamstring tear when playing for Northern Superchargers on August 11.

Stokes is due to undergo a scan on Wednesday to assess his recovery ahead of England travelling to Pakistan next week for a three-match Test tour that starts in Multan on October 7.

While saying he feels "really, really good", Stokes was more guarded when asked whether he would be able to bowl and be a fully-fledged all-rounder for the first Test.

Advertisement

"I think that's you getting ahead of yourself," he replied.

"Obviously I've been six-and-a-half weeks now of just walking and doing stuff in the gym. But rehab has gone really well.

Also Read: Highest tax paying cricketers

Advertisement

"There's a lot more than just my hamstring that I need to get back firing and working up again in terms of bowling, because you use everything. I need to get that all right to make sure that I don't do any damage to other parts of my body."
 

About the Author

AFP News
Agence France-Presse (AFP) - Global News Leader AFP News: Agence France-Presse (AFP) is a world-renowned international news agency delivering real-time, accurate, and unbiased news coverage across politics, business, sports, technology, and global affairs. Founded in 1835, AFP operates in 151 countries, providing breaking news, investigative journalism, and multimedia content in multiple languages. With a vast network of correspondents, AFP ensures fast, verified, and high-quality news reporting, making it a trusted source for media, businesses, and governments worldwide. Stay updated with global headlines, exclusive reports, and in-depth analysis Read More
Latest Cricket News