Colombo, March 11:  Due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak around the world, England players will not be using handshakes to greet people or stop for selfies with the fans during their ongoing tour of Sri Lanka.

Advertisement

Overall 1,00,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus have been reported so far across the world and over 3,500 people have lost their lives.

Advertisement

"Following the world health agency's advice, and in order to protect the players and, in turn, the integrity and continuation of the Sri Lanka Test tour, the team has put in place several precautions, leading to a number of normal activities being cancelled for the foreseeable future," an England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) release said on Wednesday.

"As a result, the touring party is now taking positive steps to reduce the risk of its health by limiting public engagements for its players and management team."

England players will be preferring fist-bumps over handshakes with their teammates or the opposition through the course of this tour. "Even a personal greeting will suffice," the release added.

"Whilst we acknowledge that this will be disappointing for some supporters, we stress that this measure to protect the ongoing wellbeing of the England Test squad and is a decision which has not been taken lightly.

Advertisement

"England players and staff have been asked to avoid any unnecessary public engagements, and temporarily avoid casual supporter interaction such as selfies or autographs," the release further said.

The ECB has also asked the supporters travelling to Sri Lanka to maintain good levels of hygiene as advised by the World Health Organisation and the NHS.

England are scheduled to play two Test matches in Sri Lanka from March 19 to 31.
 

Advertisement

About the Author

Saurabh Sharma
Saurabh Sharma is the Editorial Head of Cricketnmore Hindi and a passionate cricket journalist with over 14 years of experience in sports media. He began his journalism career with Navbharat Times, part of the Times of India Group, before moving to television media with Sadhna News. In 2014, he joined Cricketnmore and currently serves as the editor of the platform.
Known for his deep understanding of cricket statistics and unique storytelling approach, Saurabh specializes in cricket news, match analysis, records, and feature stories. Along with editorial responsibilities, he also works as a show producer for popular cricket video series such as Cricket Tales, Cricket Flashback, and Cricket Trivia. Read More
Latest Cricket News