Kolkata Knight Riders Team Preview - Records, Journey, IPL 2021 Squad & Schedule
IPL Journey Of Kolkata Knight Riders
- 2008: Won 6 and Lost 7 matches. Finished 6th in the first season of the IPL.
- 2009: Won 3 matches and lost 10. Finished last in the final League Standings.
- 2010: Won 7 and Lost 7 matches. Failed to reach the semis and finished 6th.
- 2011: Won 8 and lost 7 matches. Finished 4th after getting defeated by the Mumbai Indians in the Playoffs Eliminator match.
- 2012: Won 12 and lost 5 matches. Won their maiden IPL title after defeating Chennai Super Kings in the final.
- 2013: Had a forgetful season after winning their maiden trophy. Won 6 and lost 10 matches, finishing 7th in the final standings.
- 2014: Managed to come back from their disastrous performance of last year, won the IPL Trophy for the second time. After losing 5 out of the first 7 matches, they won 9 consecutive matches to win the title.
- 2015: Won 7 matches and lost 6. Finished on the 5th spot.
- 2016: Won 8 and lost 7 matches. Finished 4th in the league standings, after again getting defeated in the Eliminator, by Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- 2017: Won 9 and lost 7 matches. Finished 3rd. This time, they won the eliminator match but were defeated by Mumbai Indians in the 2nd Qualifier.
- 2018: Repeating the performance from the last season, they again won9 and lost 7 matches. Finished 3rd again after winning the eliminator and getting defeated in Qualifier 2 by Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- 2019: Won 6 and lost 8 matches. Finished 5th in the Final Standings.
- 2020: Won 7 & lost 7 matches. Finished at the 5th spot again.
Kolkata Knight Riders' strength this season would the overseas players that they have in the squad. Andre Russell and Sunil Narine have been the biggest game-changers for the KKR in the past. Captain Morgan would be looking at bringing the third IPL trophy in the KKR's trophy cabinet. Pat Cummins, the team's most expensive player, would be hoping to have a good season, given that the mega IPL auction is just next year. Lockie Ferguson had an impressive IPL 2020 and would be hoping to replicate the same this season as well. The addition of Ben Cutting and Tim Seifert would strengthen the squad even further, while Bangladeshi all-rounder Shakib al Hasan is making his comeback to the Kolkata franchise. Ben Cutting's presence can be counted as a strong backup for Andre Russell.
KKR's weakness will be a proper backup option for Dinesh Karthik. He is a finisher and slogs well in the death overs. However, if he misses out on few matches, there would an inconvenience in the selection of playing XI. Sheldon Jackson is the backup wicketkeeper option, but his IPL record isn't something he would be proud of. In this case, to get a finisher, KKR might bring in Karun Nair or Rinku Singh, with Tim Seifert as the keeper, and thus an Indian in the top order would be benched.
KKR has serious uncapped talent on their side that can shine this IPL. Nitish Rana and Rahul Tripathi in batting, while Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Shivam Mavi, and Sandeep Warrier in the bowling can shine for the Knight Riders are the players to watch out for in IPL 2021.
Threat to KKR's chances could be their spin department. Of course, they have Sunil Narine, but he hasn't been that effective since he had to change his action. Kuldeep Yadav is going through a rough patch and isn't getting any wickets. Shakib Al Hasan has suffered multiple injuries in the West Indies tour while Harbhajan Singh has been out of action for quite some time now. Last season's wonder Varun Chakravarthy has also been suffering from injuries and it would be intriguing to see if he can replicate his last season's performance.
Kolkata Knight Riders' IPL 2021 Schedule
- 11th April: vs Sunrisers Hyderabad at Chennai
- 13th April: vs Mumbai Indians at Chennai
- 18th April: vs Royal Challengers Bangalore at Chennai (at 4 PM)
- 21st April: vs Chennai Super Kings at Mumbai
- 24th April: vs Rajasthan Royals at Mumbai
- 26th April: vs Punjab Kings at Ahmedabad
- 29th April: vs Kolkata Knight Riders at Ahmedabad
- 3rd May: vs Royal Challengers Bangalore at Ahmedabad
- 8th May: vs Delhi Capitals at Ahmedabad (at 4 PM)
- 10th May: vs Mumbai Indians at Bangalore
- 12th May: vs Chennai Super Kings at Bangalore
- 15th May: vs Punjab Kings at Bangalore
- 18th May: vs Rajasthan Royals at Bangalore
- 21st May: vs Sunrisers Hyderabad at Bangalore (at 4 PM)