Most Five Wickets Hauls By Fast Bowlers In Test Cricket
Bowlers, especially fast bowlers, are the most important part of test cricket. Things get underway only when a bowler begins his/her run-up. Cricket has seen many great fast bowlers in its not-so-long history. These bowlers have not only made an impact on their team but have left their mark on the whole cricketing community.
Let's take a look at the fast bowlers who have taken the most five-wicket hauls in test cricket:
1) Richard Hadlee - The fast bowler hailing from New Zealand was known as the swing king. In his 86-match long test career, Hadlee picked up 431 wickets. He holds the record of most five-wicket hauls by a fast bowler - 36.
2) James Anderson* - England's greatest fast bowlers recently became the third-highest wicket-taker in tests, surpassing India's Anil Kumble. The 39-year-old, who currently has 626 wickets to his name, is second on the list of most five-wicket hauls - 31 - by a fast bowler.
3) Glenn McGrath - One of the all-time greatest fast bowlers in the world, McGrath played 124 test matches in which he picked 563 wickets. The Australian has 29 five-wicket hauls to his name.
4) Ian Botham - One of the finest all-rounders in the world of his time, represented England in 102 test matches. Botham finished his career with 383 test wickets, including 27 five-wicket hauls.
5) Dale Steyn - Arguably, South Africa's greatest fast bowler, Dale Steyn, was a gun bowler. His speed and accuracy helped him take 439 test wickets. In 93 test matches, Steyn recorded 26 five-wicket hauls.
*Records updated till England vs India, 2nd Test Day 2 at Lord's in 2021
Win Big, Make Your Cricket Prediction Now