New Zealand Beat West Indies By Five Wickets In First T20I (Match Report)
New Zealand defeated the West Indies by five wickets in a rain-affected first Twenty20 international at Auckland's Eden Park on Friday.
The Black Caps finished on 179-5 after being set a target of 176 in a match where the innings were reduced to 16 overs because of persistent showers.New Zealand bowler Lockie Ferguson was match of the match after claiming a career-best haul of 5-21.
West Indies captain Kieron Pollard was the stand-out performer for the tourists with an unbeaten 75 from 37 balls.
The next fixture in the three-match series is in Mount Maunganui on Sunday.
Final Scoreboard in the first Twenty20 international between New Zealand and the West Indies at Eden Park in Auckland on Friday:
West Indies - 180/7 (16)
- A. Fletcher b Ferguson 34
- B. King c Neesham b Southee 13
- S. Hetmyer c Siefert b Ferguson 0
- N. Pooran lbw b Ferguson 1
- R. Powell c Ferguson b Southee 0
- K. Pollard not out 75
- F. Allen c Siefert b Ferguson 30
- K. Paul c Siefert b Ferguson 0
- S. Cottrell not out 1
- Extras (lb6, nb4, w16) 26
- Total (7 wkts, 16 overs) 180
Did not bat: K. Williams, O. Thomas.
Fall of wickets: 1-58 (Fletcher), 2-58 (Hetmyer), 3-58 (King), 4-58 (Powell), 5-59 (Pooran), 6-143 (Allen), 7-146 (Paul)
Bowling: Southee 3-0-22-2 (3w); Jamieson 3-0-26-0 (3w); Bennett 2.3-0-50-0 (5w, 3nb); Ferguson 4-0-21-5 (3w); Santner 2-0-23-0 (1nb); Neesham 1.3-0-32-0 (2w)
New Zealand (target 176)
- M. Guptill c Pooran b Cottrell 5
- T. Siefert c Powell b Thomas 17
- D. Conway c Thomas b Pollard 41
- G. Phillips b Thomas 22
- R. Taylor run out (Allen) 0
- J. Neesham not out 48
- M. Santner not out 31
- Extras (b4, lb2, nb6, w3) 15
- Total (5 wkts, 15.2 overs) 179
Did not bat: T. Southee, K. Jamieson, L. Ferguson, H. Bennett.
Fall of wickets: 1-7 (Guptill), 2-34 (Sierfert), 3-62 (Thomas), 4-63 (Taylor), 5-140 (Conway)
Bowling: Cottrell 4-0-30-1 (1w); Allen 2-0-32-0; Thomas 3-0-23-2 (2w), Williams 2-0-33-0 (nb1), Paul 3-0-39-0 (nb5); Pollard 1.2-0-16-1
Result: New Zealand win by five wickets
Player of the match: Lockie Ferguson
Series: New Zealand lead the three-match series 1-0
Toss: New Zealand
Umpires: Chris Brown (NZL), Wayne Knights (NZL)
TV umpire: Shaun Haig (NZL)
Match referee: Jeff Crowe (NZL)