BCCI dismisses PCB's claim of not honouring 'contract' to play Indo-Pak series
Kolkata, April 23 - The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Monday dismissed Pakistan Cricket Board's (PCB) claim of an alleged MoU between the two nations to play a bilateral series, saying only a "statement of intent was inked in April 2014.
"It was a statement of intent. I don't blame them (PCB) for sticking to the letter. But it is not a contract," BCCI's Acting Secretary Amitabh Chaudhary told IANS on the sidelines of the five-day International Cricket Council (ICC) meet here.
Earlier in a letter, a copy which is in possession of IANS, dated April 9, 2014, the then secretary Sanjay Patel wrote to PCB chief Najam Sethi, saying: "Further to our meetings and discussions over the past few weeks regarding the bilateral tours between India and Pakistan, the BCCI and PCB hereby agree that the senior men's cricket teams of India and Pakistan will play each other as per the schedule in the formats set out below.
"BCCI and PCB agree that the rights for the tour will be assigned to a fit and proper person and will be as detailed in the Master FTP agreement. The BCCI and PCB will enter into a long form FTP Agreement in respect of the above Future Tours.
It said that the BCCI and PCB acknowledge that the letter has arisen in the context of the resolutions which have been tabled at the ICC Executive Board meeting on February 8, 2014.
"It is related to a new financial model and governance structure for the ICC including the third in a series of six resolutions relating to all Full members entering into a series of agreements with one another providing for agreed FTP content between 2015-2023.