FIFA World Cup: The guessing game over Manuel Neuer's participation in the 2026 FIFA World Cup continues.

Advertisement

While reports from Bild and Sky speak of a secured return of Neuer, Julian Nagelsmann stopped short of an explicit confirmation, though for the first time, he did not rule out a comeback for the Bayern Munich goalkeeper, after the 40-year-old announced his retirement from international duty following the UEFA Euro 2024.

Advertisement

The German national team head coach noted the final World Cup squad nomination is scheduled for May 21.

Bild, Sport1, Kicker, and Sky all report that a final announcement has been delayed due to a minor muscle injury suffered by Neuer, which forced the Bayern keeper to come off in the 60th minute of their final league game against Cologne as a precaution.

Reports note that Nagelsmann and Neuer have held several talks and have resolved the previously reported tensions that stemmed from Nagelsmann's tenure as Bayern's head coach.

Several Bayern officials, including Max Eberl, have praised Neuer as the best German keeper, while former German international Oliver Khan said that Oliver Baumann's performance has dipped since the Hoffenheim keeper was named Germany's number one a few months ago.

Advertisement

Former German international Stefan Effenberg criticised Nagelsmann's risky strategy and his failure to issue a clear statement. The case becomes tricky because Baumann claims not to have been informed of a change. "My position is that I am still the number one," the 35-year-old said.

Several Bayern officials, including Max Eberl, have praised Neuer as the best German keeper, while former German international Oliver Khan said that Oliver Baumann's performance has dipped since the Hoffenheim keeper was named Germany's number one a few months ago.

Also Read: Live Cricket Score

The former Bayern keeper said Neuer's age and growing injury-proneness could be a problem. "Playing games every two to three days is a heavy physical load," he said, after Neuer signed a one-year contract extension with Bayern.

Article Source: IANS
Advertisement

About the Author

IANS News
IANS is one of the largest independent private Indian news agency in India. Founded in the year 1986 by Indian American publisher Gopal Raju as the "India Abroad News Service" and later renamed. Their main offices are located in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. Read More
Latest Cricket News