Kolkata, Jan 22 (IANS) Former India cricket captain Sourav Ganguly Thursday refused to comment over speculation that he would be joining the BJP.

The cricket great, who has been nominated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the Swachh Bharat Mission, however, asserted that he was serious about making the campaign a success.


Also read⇒Srinivasan cannot contest BCCI elections: SC


"I have got nothing to say," the former left-handed batsman repeatedly told media persons here about the speculation that began after industrialist Harsh Goenka Wednesday tweeted that Ganguly was all set to join the BJP.

"I am surprised with Harsh's tweet. I did not even know (about the tweet) until somebody told me. I haven't met Harsh for ages, so what to say.

"There are lots of respectable people but I have nothing to say. I have nothing to say, because whatever I say may be termed differently so I leave at that," Ganguly said.

On reports that the central BJP leadership had contacted him, Ganguly said: "The only time I spoke to them was for the Swachh Bharat. Yes, I am taking it seriously because it's a fabulous work and hopefully we can do it."

On his views about Modi, Ganguly said: "Everyone thinks highly about him."

While BJP national secretary and party in-charge for West Bengal Siddharth Nath Singh Thursday dismissed the speculation, saying there was no truth in Goenka's claim, party MP and union minister Babul Supriyo said if the former captain does join, it will be a big boost.

"I don't know about his joining the BJP. But, he is a very big icon and if he joins, the path that we are trying to walk under the leadership of our captain Narendra Modi, I think it will give a big boost," Supriyo, union minister of state for urban development, told media persons here.

Ganguly had earlier rejected ideas of taking the political plunge.

"I am better off in the ground," Ganguly had said last year following reports that he was offered to contest the Lok Sabha polls on a BJP ticket.

Advertisement

About the Author

Saurabh Sharma
Saurabh Sharma is the Editorial Head of Cricketnmore Hindi and a passionate cricket journalist with over 14 years of experience in sports media. He began his journalism career with Navbharat Times, part of the Times of India Group, before moving to television media with Sadhna News. In 2014, he joined Cricketnmore and currently serves as the editor of the platform.
Known for his deep understanding of cricket statistics and unique storytelling approach, Saurabh specializes in cricket news, match analysis, records, and feature stories. Along with editorial responsibilities, he also works as a show producer for popular cricket video series such as Cricket Tales, Cricket Flashback, and Cricket Trivia. Read More
Latest Cricket News