London, July 23 (CRICKETNMORE): After left-arm seamer Mustafizur Rahman served up a superb bowling spell to steer Sussex Sharks to victory over Essex Eagle on his county cricket debut, captain Luke Wright said the Bangladesh youngster was worth the wait.

Advertisement

The 20-year-old put his guile on display to return with 4/23 as Sussex, who had been languishing in the bottom half of the South Group, earned a 24-run win at Chelmsford in the NatWest T20 Blast on Thursday. Also Read : Mushtaq Ahmed picks his all-time playing eleven.

Advertisement

 

"It has taken some hard work to get Rahman here, and a lot of people have worked hard to make it happen. Now we can see why he was worth so much time and effort," Wright was quoted as saying by a news website on Friday.

"He is a very special bowler. He has put in a performance straight away, that was very special to watch."

Wright said they had tried to play Mustafizur's deliveries before the match, maybe to get a feel of what they should be expecting. But the left-arm Bangladeshi pacer outfoxed them. Also Read : The Great Chase by team India against West Indies.

Advertisement

 

"It is so hard to pick what he is going to do. In the warm-up we were trying to work him out and we couldn't," the 31-year-old captain said.

"Credit to our keeper Craig Cachopa, who kept really well to him tonight -- it is not easy when you've had no time to watch him before or to have faced him."

Advertisement

Mustafizur was supposed to join up with Sussex in early June. But he returned from the Indian Premier League (IPL) with a hamstring injury towards the end of May. Sussex, however, did not give up and gave Mustafizur more time, but the delay stretched on.

It took him about a month to recover and visa issues delayed his arrival by about two more weeks.

But his remarkable display of seam bowling was surely inspiring for Sussex, who sealed only their second T20 Blast win in eight games.

Advertisement

"He got a flight yesterday so he's come straight in and bowled like that. We have a very special talent on our hands."

Sussex will take on Surrey in their next match on Friday. 

About the Author

Saurabh Sharma
Saurabh Sharma is the Editorial Head of Cricketnmore Hindi and a passionate cricket journalist with over 14 years of experience in sports media. He began his journalism career with Navbharat Times, part of the Times of India Group, before moving to television media with Sadhna News. In 2014, he joined Cricketnmore and currently serves as the editor of the platform.
Known for his deep understanding of cricket statistics and unique storytelling approach, Saurabh specializes in cricket news, match analysis, records, and feature stories. Along with editorial responsibilities, he also works as a show producer for popular cricket video series such as Cricket Tales, Cricket Flashback, and Cricket Trivia. Read More
Latest Cricket News