Mumbai, Oct 23: Questions around former India skipper M.S. Dhoni refuses to die down and while nobody is sure if he will don the gloves again for the national team, newly elected BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has made it clear that Dhoni will be respected and what he thinks will matter.

Advertisement

"I don't know what's in his mind. India is very proud to have M.S. Dhoni. Till I am around everybody will be respected. Dhoni's achievements make India proud," Ganguly said about his former teammate.

Advertisement

In fact, Ganguly also said that he is yet to speak to the former India skipper on the matter and will do so. "I am yet to talk to him. I will have a word soon with one of the greats of the Indian game.

Ganguly also brought out his own example and how he made a comeback to the team when everyone though he was finished.

"I have always said when I was left out and the entire world said 'I will never make it.' I came back and played for 4 years. Champions don't finish very quickly," he explained.

Speaking to reporters after India's historic whitewash of South Africa in the 3-Test rubber, Virat Kohli said Ganguly hasn't spoken to him about anything related to Dhoni's future.

Advertisement

"I congratulated him (Ganguly). It's great that he has become BCCI president. He will get in touch with me when he has to. I will go meet him when he tells me to. He has not spoken to me about that (MS Dhoni's future)," Kohli said.

Earlier, Ganguly had said he would talk to Kohli on October 24 when India's squad for the home Test and T20I series against Bangladesh will be announced.

"I will find out from the selectors when I meet them on 24th. I will find out what the selectors are thinking. Then I will put my opinion," Ganguly had told reporters at the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) premises last week.

Advertisement

Asked if a cricketer can take such a long break, he said: "I was nowhere in picture (when it transpired). So my first selection committee meeting will be on 24th."

Former India skipper Dhoni, 38, has been away from international cricket since India's exit from the World Cup after losing the semi-final clash against New Zealand.

About the Author

Saurabh Sharma
Saurabh Sharma is the Editorial Head of Cricketnmore Hindi and a passionate cricket journalist with over 14 years of experience in sports media. He began his journalism career with Navbharat Times, part of the Times of India Group, before moving to television media with Sadhna News. In 2014, he joined Cricketnmore and currently serves as the editor of the platform.
Known for his deep understanding of cricket statistics and unique storytelling approach, Saurabh specializes in cricket news, match analysis, records, and feature stories. Along with editorial responsibilities, he also works as a show producer for popular cricket video series such as Cricket Tales, Cricket Flashback, and Cricket Trivia. Read More
Latest Cricket News